Infolinks In Text Ads

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nazir eyes Pakistan return

Nazir eyes Pakistan return

Pakistan opener Imran Nazir has resigned from the unauthorised Indian Cricket League and is keen on returning to the national team.

Nazir met with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials including chairman Ijaz Butt to confirm his resignation, although he in unsure whether he would be immediately available for selection.

Earlier this week, middle-order batsman Mohammad Yousuf and all-rounder Abdul Razzaq also terminated their services with the Indian Cricket League (ICL) and were cleared for selection by the PCB after their decision to join the ICL saw them banned from international as well as domestic cricket.

In line with many other boards, the PCB had offered players with links to the ICL amnesty if they quit the unauthorised league by May 31.

The PCB, however, have maintained they would deal with players returning from the ICL on a case-by-case basis.

"I have resigned from the ICL and informed the league I can't play for them any longer," Nazir said.

"I met with PCB officials and they were very cordial and have accepted my resignation.

"I haven't been told of any cooling period or any fine being imposed by the PCB.

"I'm keen on resuming my international career and hope to be in contention for the Sri Lanka series next month."